Thursday, November 1, 2007

LDS Chaplain Candidates

Welcome!

Thanks to Nathan's (Chaplain Kline) idea about using this google blog, we've got a blog started here for LDS Chaplain Candidates (I realize that not every prospective chaplain is married) and Chaplain Candidate Couples to get to know each other, share info, and keep in touch!
I guess we'll just wait and see how useful this will be to us and others down the road.

Please feel free to share your story about where you're from etc., photos, how you became interested in pursuing the chaplaincy, what you're doing to fulfill the educational requirements, how you've dealt with or are dealing with obstacles or set-backs (financial and otherwise), etc. etc...And anything else, especially questions/concerns or helpful tips you've learned about this "becoming-a-chaplain" process -- as well as words of caution and motivation.

Couples who are already chaplains, both experienced and new, are especially welcome to share their stories/photos, answer questions, and share anything and everything they think might be helpful to us. Feel free to ask such couples to log-on and make entries etc. as often as they'd like.

If you have any ideas about how to make this blog a more useful tool, please be sure to share them!

Take care,

Tommy

4 comments:

Chaplain Candidates said...

I don't know how anyone else feels about this, but I know often times at work (civilian and military) we use a familiar tool to do a job that the tool was not intended for rather than familiarize ourselves with a new tool. This seems like the perfect venue for a "Group" vice a blog. The only groups I am familiar with both require you to have an email account with the provider I believe (GMail has groups, and so does Yahoo; personally I love GMail and prefer it over the more widely used yet inferior Yahoo - similar to widely used yet inferior Microsoft products, but I digress), but getting the account is free (besides who wouldn't want a GMail account?, GMail rocks).

With a Group, each individual user can choose their settings: whether to receive an email every time someone posts, a 'daily digest' of posts or not receive any emails. I believe you can also choose to have those emails sent to another email account, so you don't have to "switch over" to GMail, and you don't even have to log on unless you want to post, and sometimes you can just email your post in. I think it would be a much better vehicle personally, but it would require a little more effort on behalf of some (signing up for a GMail account possibly, and familiarizing yourself with it, but I'm not even sure if that's the case).

Chaplain Candidates said...

You're right, I'm not familiar with that tool, but hey, I can learn! It sounds cool.

I do have a quick question about it:
Let's say that over the next while we all share/learn lots of helpful stuff, and then new people become candidates etc. With this Group tool, is there a place where the new people can just read through all of our prior postings/helpful info?

Thanks!
Tommy

Chaplain Candidates said...

Most blogs feature an archive section which allows anyone access past material. Ours is on the blogspot page.

Aaron L.

Unknown said...

Hey my name is Scott and I am pursuing Military Chaplaincy.
I'v talked with various Chaplains (LDS and nonLDS) and the biggest advice I've gotten until now, is to get married and get a good GPA.. So that's what I've done.

How can I subscribe to your blog??
THANKS